Saturday, January 15, 2011
See You Later...Not Goodbye
Yesterday was the farewell get together for my old director. She actually worked her last day on Tuesday. There were probably a dozen and a half or so people there. It was drinks and small finger food. Oddly I didn't get really upset even though I thought I would. I sat down with her for a talk on Monday before she left to let her know that I wanted to stay in contact with her and that I would more than likely not being staying myself for long. I didn't directly ask for a reference but I think she knew that I was implying it. I want to let her settle in to her new job first. She was very agreeable and said that after she did, she would be sending out emails to those she wished to stay in contact with. So when I left the party and said my last goodbye, she did start to get upset. I reminded her that it really wasn't goodbye, it was see you later. I really felt it and I think she felt better and as soon as things settle in for her I will hear from her. At the very least I hope for a reference. She was a great boss and is a great mentor both professionally and personally so I will be making a big effort to keep in contact with her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment